TR-3A - Hostility toward Miatas: I don't get it.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-3A - Hostility toward Miatas: I don't get it.
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: resinext@aol.com, resinx@aol.com, DHoemberg@aol.com, 3030p@vm1.cc.nps.navy.mil, oggman2@aol.com, barry.bassola@us.landisgyr.com, dave.biagini@us.landisgyr.com, Stephen@TechnicalEdge.com
Regarding any opinions about Miata offered below, two qualifications:

1. I haven't yet driven a Miata, only looked one over thoroughly.
2. I haven't read the  "phoney sportscar" thread.

   That said, I do not understand the hostility toward Miatas on british
cars lists.  Admittedly, many of their owners are clueless; e.g., Before I
had a chance to look under an M-car hood,  I asked two owners at work
whether their engines were inline or transverse - and they didn't know. {My
wife questioned whether they had ever checked the oil).
  But the car, that's a different story.  It seems to me the perfection of
everything that is wrong or old fashioned about my TR-3.  And why not?  It
represents late eighties technology and a self-concious effort to do the
LBC  "right".  The TR reflects late forties, at best.  Recognizing what is
obvious takes nothing away from the TR.
   As for looks, the Miata is beautiful and elegant - as pretty as anything
on the road.  I'm grateful for that in an era when there are so many really
wierd looking cars around; e.g., all this fake spoiler nonsense - that has
to be the stupidest fad since Fifties fins.
  If people want cars to scorn, why not pick the BMW Z-3, the Porsche
Boxter and whatever the Mercedes folks call their new yup-mobile.  These
cars are ug-lee, as well as over-powered and over-priced.   Around here
they are bought by Silicon Valley techno-nerds, cashing in stock options,
who don't want a Miata because it is too "common".
   Anyway, sooner or later, Miatas wind up in the used market where they
are often bought by someone who knows what they are getting.
   So, chill out, I say, and give the little M-car some slack.  Who knows,
your son or daughter may buy one some day.
  John