Re: Air Conditioning System for a GT6 MK1

To: rgb@exact.com
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning System for a GT6 MK1
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 00:44:40 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
rgb@exact.com wrote:

> I especially didn't like using R-12, large power hungry compressors,
> and underdash add-on ductwork.

The heat of evaporation specs for R-12 are not that much different than
for R-134A. It's lamentable that R-22 is not legal for general
automotive use, but for good reason, I think. Far more efficient,
although it has considerably more ozone-depleting compounds than R-134A.
Given the industry move to R-134A, it still makes good sense to install
such a system if only for the future availability of R-134A refrigerant.

> Their words, quote "forget it, it will NEVER fit in a TR6, buy a truck".

Not much help, that advice. <g>

> With this in mind, I forged ahead.  The result was a neat installation
> with NO cutting of sheetmetal and the utilization of the existing dash
> hoses by replacing the heater unit with a fan/heater/AC unit.
>
> As a point of record, I'm certified in Auto AC and have installed several
> AC kits in Mazda RX-7's in a past life.

> I have promised to build 10 kits this year for folks that are already
> interested, based on an updated version.  This one will be real nice,
> my goal is a 4 hour installation and one trip to a recharge place.
>
> I've also promised an article to the VTR once I'm finished...

Would be interesting. What compressor does this include? My concern here
is that many of the aftermarket systems, particularly those produced for
Japanese cars in the `80s when Nippondenso ran short of factory kits,
because of high demand, were not equipped with a low-pressure clutch
cut-out switch (for some reason, particularly those which included a
Sankyo compressor). If the system had leaked down, the compressor fried,
because the refrigerant carries the oil. Had to fix more than one of
those a decade or so ago. Anyone contemplating any sort of aftermarket
installation ought to insist on a system which incorporates a
low-pressure cutout switch. I'm sure yours has one, Roger.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....