Re: Electric Oil Pumps?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Oil Pumps?
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 15:02:33 -0400
 >Bill Swinehart wrote:
 >>
 >> Is anyone aware of elctric oil pumps available for our LBCs?
 >>
 >> Particularly a TR6.

..and Mike Porter answered,

 >Sounds like an unwise thing to do, unless one were to wire the pump to
 >kill the ignition when power to the pump was lost. Also, seems that the
 >engine would have to be converted to a dry sump system in order to
 >externally mount the pump. I have a feeling an in-sump submersible with
 >the flow and pressure required would be rather large and expensive.
 >
 >Cheers.
 >
 >--
 >My other Triumph runs, but....

and I'm wondering if Bill was asking about an electric oil pump to be
used before starting the engine, to assure full oiling at start-up,
since I've heard that that's when most wear occurs.

In fact, I remember the `Goss Garage Guy' on the PBS program _Motorweek_
describing an accessory electric oiler, and gave the above reason for
it being a geed idea.  I suppose it could be something mounted external
to the engine, with appropriate fittings and oil lines; it could be
turned on with the key in the `idiot light check' position, at which
time you could wait 10 seconds or so, for the oil to get up to the
rocker shaft, for instance.

Hmmmm, the above `geed' should read `good' !

The above info is from a 3 to 5 yr-old memory, hope it's accurate,
but no guarantees...in fact, I've never seen one of those electric
oilers, maybe someone else on the list has.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc  basket case (and dry sumper)