Re: Pulls to one side under braking

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: Re: Pulls to one side under braking
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:31:44 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> Hi.
>
> What are all the potential causes of darting under braking?  My TR6
> was
> doing this a lot yesterday, and it seems like it was related to the
> temp of
> the brakes... I don't usually get them very warm, and since they're
> semi-metallic they do improve with temp increase (to a point!!)  But
> yesterday I got 'em heated up a bit, and the pull started to show up.
> will continue to experiment with it... the roads around here are badly
> rutted, so weird things can happen just as a result of that.  Before I
> put
> the car back on the road after 6 years of dormancy, I overhauled the
> brake
> calipers and wheel cylinders, so I would think that things are OK in
> that
> department.  What are the common problems here?  I need to point out
> that
> the front end is in very good shape... all (basically) new bushings,
> track
> rod ends, ball joints, bearings, etc... theoretically very tight.  I
> haven't ever done anything with the lower trunnions, though, and it is
> properly aligned (or was!).
>
> Pete Chadwell
>
> 1973 TR6
>
> P.S.  Sorry 'bout the wait on the thrust washer article... I'm pretty
> busy
> around here, I'll get it on the list very soon!
Pete,
There are  things that come to mind right away. 1) One set of shoe badly
out of adjustment(check drum brake adjustment). 2) Brakes on one side
not operating. 3) Badly warped brake drum causing one wheel to lock up.
There may be more, but these are the really common causes.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4