[Fwd: Re: American 8 spokes]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: American 8 spokes]
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:34:12 -0700
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:56:28 -0700
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
To: "C. Tucker" <catucker@vnet.net>
Subject: Re: American 8 spokes

C. Tucker wrote:

> >I've had a set of four American 8 spokes, (the ones with the
> >coarse reverse threads on the left side wheels for the two eared spinner)
> >residing on my 73 TR-6
> >A few of those reverse threaded left hand spinners must also be out there
> >languishing alone and unappreciated in some basement or garage. These
> >also could find a happy and loving home.
> >

> Dean,
> I have recently purchased a wrecked '65 TR-4A that has the 8 spoke American
> Racing Equipment
> Wheels on it.  All of the spinners have been destroyed by some ignoramous
> beating them with
> a hammer.  All of the ears have been knocked off.
> I didn't realize that they were different from the spinners that were on the
> wire wheels.
> What are the differences?  Would a spinner from a wire wheel car work?
> Would you know where I could find some?  I realize that you are looking for
> the left hand spinners.
> Are they only on one side of the car, or both?

Spinners for the right side had right hand threads. The spinners for the
8 spokes had very coarse threads, the wire whhel type were fine threaded.
They are not interchangeable. Probably most folks did'nt know about the
left handed threads, thuough its the same on the wire wheels (keeps the
spinners from spinning off on the left side of the car with tire
rotation. Hence many spinners with broken ears from fools trying to beat
them off backwards even thogh the originals had arrows on them pointing
on and off. The spinners were easier to find then the wheels for years
but they were a hot item for theft, lost at least 8 that way over the
years.

> How much is a set of four wheels like this worth?  I gave $850.00 for the
> wrecked car.

Been so ling since I've seen any that I won't hazard a guess. If you've
got four I'd hold on to them. I'm hoping ther is someone out there with 1
to three of them but, if you want to sell yours set a price and we'll
see.
> Do you know if they were an option on the TR-250?

Never saw any on a 250.

> Sorry for all the questions, but no one else seems to know much about them,
> and I certainly
> don't.

>Is alright, it took me a while to figure all this out. Have not seen more than
>one or two sets of them since 1967.

Deano