Re: Sport coil question 4-Charlie

To: cb1500@erols.com
Subject: Re: Sport coil question 4-Charlie
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 1 Aug 97 8:09:05
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Charlie, I wrote:

>>The PO of my GT6 installed a sport coil by ACCEL.  That is all I
know about it.
There ain*t no manual for it, but it has a ballast resistor that appears to be
wired correctly.   However, the plug gaps are standard for the stock coil at
.025 of an inch.  Seems to me this negates the purpose of the hotter coil, and
that the gap ought to be wider.  Whaddya think, and what might be the right
gap?<<

Then YOU wrote:

>>I'm running my Lucas Sport Coil gaps at .050.
Now, have you checked the wiring for a ballast resistor in the harness?
If you've got an operating resistor on the coil, by-pass the harness
wire. If there's no resistor in the harness, leave well enough alone.
Check available voltage at the "+" coil terminal (remove the supply wire)
with the ignition swithch "On". If you come up with the ballasted 7-9v.,
start thinking "by-pass" operation.<<

Double the volts, double the gap, eh?  Seems to make sense.  For the moment,
I am gonna presume the ACCEL coil is producing 40K volts -- hell, it*s BIG
enough.  There is a ceramic encased resistor in the circuitry, mounted on the
siderail that encompasses the engine.  I seem to recall in my reading somewhere
that the GT6 might have a ballast resistor incorporated ºin the loom,º as they
say, but I am not sure where ... I will check for it.  But you say that I
should check
the voltage at the coil by ªremov(ing) the supply wireª -- that is, the negative
lead from the resistor, and grounding my voltmeter on the block?

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 III