Spit 1500 clutch slip

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit 1500 clutch slip
From: Peter Sunenshine <sunenshi@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 19:23:45 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: sunenshi@njmsa.UMDNJ.EDU (Peter Sunenshine)
        I'm sort a novice at car repair, so I was wondering if anyone
could help me with a few simple questions.

        I have a '76 Spit 1500.  Over about a period of a
week, the clutch got more and more free play, and it got harder and
harder to shift in and out of gear.  I assumed I had leak in the
hyadraulic system somewhere.  I checked the clutch master cylinder and
its empty.  Now the car won't shift at all.

Questions:
1)  What kind of fluid do I fill the master cylinder with?  Will DOT 4
brake fluid do the trick?

2)  There is a little fluid in the rubber bood dust cover on the master
cylinder, but only a few cc's.  Is that enough fluid to make me think
that the cylinder seal is leaking?  Should I just replace the master
cylinder?

3)  If not, how else do I check for leaks in the system?

4)  Do I have to bleed the hydraulic fluid, even if I'm just adding fluid
to the master cylinder?  Could I have introduced air into the system by
letting it get so low?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.  Also, thanks to all that helped
me out last year with my fuel guage problem.  There was a pinhole leak in
the float, so I soldered a piece of a milk jug on it like someone
suggested.  Great idea!

Pete Sunenshine
Maplewood, NJ
'76 Spitfire 1500 (Daily driver)