Needles and Pins-za (WAS: Zenith-Stromberg mixture adjustment)

Subject: Needles and Pins-za (WAS: Zenith-Stromberg mixture adjustment)
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 97 18:09:23 PDT
In the last episode, our hapless hero was stuck with a rich idle mixture and a
cherry-red catalytic converter on a sputtering Spitfire.

 He verified that the float level was in spec (actually was within 1 MM but the
float seams were not parallel to the carb body, and this was rectified).  In
trying to set the needle washer to the bottom of the piston, he found it
verryyy difficult to turn the special allen tool.

Turning with all his might (well OK, with a firm grasp) he found that even
several turns of the allen made no  visible change in the relationship between
the piston and the needle.

So the question is, is this a "fixed-type" needle?  There is no brass adjuster
on the bottom of the float chamber, just an aluminum bump.   The sticker on the
hood (bonnet) of the car shows the adjustment tool etc.

If it IS a fixed needle, how do you adjust the idle mixture?  Or is something
amiss in the needle/piston assembly? What do I yank on next(and how hard)?
Obviously I haven't ever been inside a CD (Constantly Depressing!) ZS carb.

The carb will stay out of the car while I await some answers, thanks in advance.

Atwell "Hapless" Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062
'88 Lotus Esprit
'88 Mustang 5.0