GT6 motor - Tales of the DPO

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: GT6 motor - Tales of the DPO
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:30:10 +1000
Listers

I have just spent my Sunday afternoon pulling down the motor that was in my
GT6 when it came over the water from the US.

This motor had a number of problems, including a warped head and a lack of
oil pressure, so we found a second hand 2000 sedan motor, and stuck that in
to get the car going.

I was at least partly prepared for the worst, everything that I had pulled
down on this car had been very badly abused (the gearbox yielded a cup of
steel, and I now use a TR6 o/d type box), however I don't think I have ever
seen a motor quite like this!

The first thing I noticed was the lack of lock tabs on main and big end
bearings, so this motor must have been rebuilt at least once. The big ends
had enough play to be noticable with the naked eye (seriously) and once
dismantled the journals were found to be very heavily scored. The mains
have worn into the crank very heavily (especially the front main), this has
been made worst by the use of bearing shells with a large oilway running
all the way around the shell and taking up one third of the space available
for bearing material (are these the normal main shells that are used in the
US?).

Just to ensure that everything was u/s, the pistons have been very heavily
scored on the skirts (although the bores aren't to bad), and the small end
bushes are very worn.

However I do have one good point, the thrust washers were in reasonably
good condition!, the rear one had worn but was still servicable!!!!!.

So the next step, off to the machine shop and see if we can reuse the crank
(I don't hold out much hope so a visit to the wreckers will be required to
obtain a replacement!), check out the block in the tank, and then go and
spend some money on new bearings, pistons, rings, oil pump, timing chain,
cam bearings (specially made), etc etc

I don't know if this level of abuse and neglect is normal for cars in the
US (or at least the rougher ones), however if it is I take my hat off to
you Triumphers over there - you really have your work cut out for you to
return a non-runner to the road!

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (Sal's)
'69 Spitfire MkIII (Now for sale - anybody interested in a real 'project'
car)

birneybs@onaustralia.com.au