Re: Timing exactness

To: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Timing exactness
From: tuu@cosmail3.ctd.ornl.gov (Tim Tucker)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 13:30:42 -0400
At 09:27 AM 8/4/97 -0400, CAMHI ALAN wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I did the timing on my TR4 this weekend and she appeared to be OK.  The
>problem is that she is supposed to be at 4 degrees BTDC and when I
>checked her with a timing light all i could do was guestimate where 4
>degrees was.
>
>I figure I'm very close but I really want to be perfect and since i din't
>see any callibration or degree incremental marks on the pulley, how does
>one get exactly 4 degrees other thatn having a keen eye.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Alan Camhi
>65 TR4

Alan,

Try this: measure diameter of the pulley and multiply that figure by
((3.14159*4)/360) which works out to be 3.14159/90 = .03491

RECAP: diameter of pulley(inches or cm) * .03491(applies only to 4 degrees
of advance) = the amount of markoff from TDC.  Measure around the
circumference that amount and mark it as your 4 degree BTDC.

That should work.