Re: Spitfire Oil Filter

Subject: Re: Spitfire Oil Filter
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 97 22:53:02 PDT
Hello, Mike.
==========================

Mike Mused,
> I am wondering if there is a commonly available oil filter that will fit on
> my Spitfire 1500, as opposed to spending $15 (Cdn.) for the correct one.  I
> noticed some messages concerning a Ford Escort filter for the TR6, but are
> they the same as the Spit filters, and do these filters require an adapter?

==========================

I just recently looked into this, as my Spit 1500 is running now for the first
time since I owned it.

I purchased a Crosland # 670 from Moss when I first bought the Spit (cost about
$7 US). But when I got the car running and removed the existing Wix filter, It
had a male to male adapter (with the filter end too big for the Crosland)
installed.  So I had to run down to the local Parts Plus auto store to get a
filter to fit the larg adapter.

Here are cross-references for this filter (sorry I don't know the applicable
cars);
WIX             51374           $6.30 US
Fram            PH922A          $2.50 on sale at K-Mart
Hastings                LF142 or CF138  ?
Purolator               L10017          $2.50 - $4.00 on sale at Strauss Auto
Trust           PH228           ?  (Parts Plus house brand)

LATER I told the boys at Moss my problem with their filter.  They exchanged it
for a Crosland #595, which came with its own male-to-male adapter, with
identical threads on each side.  So there is a whole 'nuther range of filters
that should fit with THIS adapter in place.

So it seems you have to know  what adapter you have in the car before you buy.
Or, buy the Moss #GFE119 (Crosland with adapter) that first time.....

Anyone else?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062
'88 Lotus Esprit