FW:

To: triumphs
Subject: FW:
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:37:16 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 60]

     Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 11:57:00 PDT
     From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
     Subject: Re: Greetings - New GT6 owner - Gearbox additives

Text item:

/I am new to the list and have bought a 69 GT6 mk2 about 1 month ago.
/It is a valencia blue in about A2 condition.  I am still finding out
/about it, really (such as the joint in the steering column which
/needed tightening - improved the handling no end!).  My main current
/queries are:

/1) The box is quite noisy and crunchy in 3rd.  Having just bought
/the car I want to put off replacing the box and wonder if anyone
/has tried using gearbox additives such as Slick 50 and whether they
/have any benefit?

It's probaly time for a rebuild like everyone else has said.  I'll
second the notion for checking with Kipping Spares.  That's where I
got my last gearbox, great price.  While your at it, get a clutch,
pressure plate and TO bearing, slave cylinder and shift rebuild kits
from these guys.  It's best to do this all at once.

Forget Slick 50 and all that other junk, I use Redline MTL (Manual
Transmission Lube) in my gearbox.  Best stuff out there.  Change it
annually, it's surprising the amount of junk that comes out

/2) It really is quite a warm place to be!  Any ideas for cutting down
/the heat?

The 3M bubble wrap/foil stuff works really well.  Cover the interior tranny
tunnel and firewall/footwell area with this stuff.  Doesn't hold water, easy to
work with and also cuts down the noise.  Be sure to seal the tranny cover mating
surfaces with tape or RTV

/3) What mpg should I expect?

I get 22-24mpg on mine, 145,000 miles with an orgional engine, no O/D.

Mike