Re: Steering column bushings [TR6]

To: ingate@shiseis.com
Subject: Re: Steering column bushings [TR6]
From: lgmiceli@juno.com (Lawrence G Miceli)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 20:17:33 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 28 Jul 97 14:15:48 PDT ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
writes:
>All,
>
>       Before mounting up the dash, I thought I would rebush the
>steering column. .  Is there a trick
>to removing/inserting new bushings in the column?
>
>       Thanks in advance,
>       Shane Ingate in San Diego

Shane,

Sorry for the late response, but I got bumped off the list!!!

I just finished this job on my TR6 and the trick is heat.  Get a heat gun
(should be hotter than a hair dryer) and heat the steering column up
until the rubber bushing gets soft. Then you can use the steering column
shaft to knock out the top bushing, sorta like a slide hammer, and you
will be able to use a long rod to push out the bottom bushing.
Replacement was much easier, just use a little grease to help slip the
new bushes in place.

Hope this helps.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6