Re: ' 71 TR6 back on the road

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>, list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: ' 71 TR6 back on the road
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 12:39:50 -0400
John Duhart writes:

>Hey Dave,

>Sorry to here about your problem with your tranny, but I'm about to do a
>rebuild on my tranny in a few months and I have some questions.  I've
>bought the rebuild kit that TRF sells.  What kind of special tools did
>you use to rebuild the tranny?

First of all, Get a shop manual.  The Bentley's is good but if you have a
couple of manuals then you have a good chance that one will cover what the
other skips over.  As for special tools there are a couple called out but I
didn't use them (my Scottich heritage wouldn't allow me to invest that much
for occasional use)  One tool is a device to press the bearing on and off
of the mainshaft.  I used a soft faced hammer (copper, lead, or rawhide) or
a steel hammer and a wood block (never strike the main shaft directly with
a steel hammer).  There is another special tool for installing and removing
the circlip which retains the third gear.  I was able to accomplish this
with three small screwdrivers and four hands and a lot of frustration (but
think of the money I saved by not buying the special tool.)

>Have you ever done anything like this before?

Yes I've rebuilt several transmissions starting with the one in my MG back
in 1977.

>I would like to convert to a OD.  What was the cost of the new
>main shaft?

About $100 - 120

> What was the cost of the OD?  Where did you get the OD?

My OD unit was thrown in on a deal when I bought my ' 74.  OD's are scarce
now and were rarely found on the cars when new.  But therare some around.
Check on the list or check with those who part out cars like the Cheese
Head (Bob Kamholtz in Genoa city Wisconsin (414) 297 3307)

>How hard was it to disassemble the tranny?  (i.e.  everything came apart
easy
>or once I inserted a 1/2 stick of dynamite I was able to loosen a few
>parts).

The assembly/disassembly is tricky and the sequence must be followed
exactly (see comments above about getting a manual)

>Your the first person I've seen on the list claiming to have rebuilt their
own tranny and I would like to use
>your experience to gauge what I'm in for.

>Later,
>JHD IV

Get a manual and read it.  Then read it again.  It all looks confusing
looking at the picture but when you see it in 3D it will all make sense.
The only confusing part then is "How do you get all those parts in there
through that small hole?"

Dave Massey, On the digest.

P.S. Sorry I took so long to reply but I have been traveling a lot lately.
Next week I am going to Cajon Country (Lake Charles, Baton Rouge) and I'm
going to eat me some mud bugs and allegator!