Bad gas continued...

Subject: Bad gas continued...
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:49:40 -0500
Hi all!

While I am far from a gasoline expert, I have had my share of
experiences with gasoline and here's what I understand:

Gasoline will, over time, trap and retain moisture.  This causes the
rust you find IN the gas tank.  If you fill a gas tank completely and
seal it, and drain the fuel lines to the carb and drain the float bowl
of the carb(s), you should be fine for storage.  If you drain the tank,
too, and seal it, you should be fine.  It is the leaving of a partial
tank and not draining the carbs that causes problems.

I have had 9 2/3 Triumphs (and many other vehicles including a 1974
Dodge Monaco, a 1968 Ford Falcon, three Honda motorcycles, two Honda
cars, two 1974 Monte Carlos, etc...) and have found in most that I find
sitting and buy, the gas smells like varnish and is sludgy in the bottom
of the gas tanks.  Gas will go bad, no matter what any mechanic tells
you.  It does have a shelf life.  It will take a lo-o-o-ong time to go
bad IF you store it correctly (the procedure above), but it will go bad
eventually.

I have no experience with fuel stabilizers, so can't advise you there.
There have been years of testing put into a lot of those products,
though, so they probably perform their function okay.

Hope this helps!

Keep Triumphing!  (It's a gas!)
Susan Hensley   %)