Lucas alt vs. others

To: Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com
Subject: Lucas alt vs. others
From: "Scott Kohl" <sdkgt6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:15:50 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Rich (and list),
The Mitsubishi alt. I have on my '+' puts out 65A, cost $35 at a local
scrappie, and uses the original harness.  The only mods were an
extension that bolted to the top bracket, and some milling on the lower
bracket.  A few spacers would make it dead easy to switch back to the
Lucas, but why?  If it's a driver, and you use it in the winter (mild
here in western OR, just wet), you will appreciate more muscle in the
alt. dept.  The 17 ACR is rated at 34 amps.  The rear defroster,
something which I suspect Rich rarely uses <g>, consumes nearly
one-third of this--10.2 amps.  Then the lights, wipers, heater,
ignition...Consumer's Union (now Consumer Reports) ran their '70 utterly
dead one night during their test.  This won't happen to me.  Anyone
interested, details gladly given.