Re: Utah smog laws? last word ...

To: gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu, bnicho19@bellsouth.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Utah smog laws? last word ...
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:54:15, -0500
-- [ From: old chris * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Subject: Re: Utah smog laws?

Bill:

    I just took my TR8 in for inspection and passed despite running way
rich (the car was most recently tuned in Chicago :) ) and having
decidedly non-original K&R air filters in place (the PO was sadly unable
to provide the originals)  Sometimes its nice to drive a car that few
mechanics have even heard of, much less seen.  :)  I will mail you the
state's requirements later.  Inspections here are done at gas stations
etc, not at state-run facilities.  I've been given the impression that
as long as you have a cat and pass the reading part of the test, you'll
pass the visual part.  You probably won't get cut any slack on the
safety portion though.

Bill and Jason;

Just asked an instructor at the local Tech school who teachs the I/M
course and if the car is pre '85 ( may be later year...but my '78 does
not have a cat, it has headers too...  )  in Utah you can pass even it
it should originally have a catalytic converter.  Jason, you are right
on about the safety... unbelievable how picky they were on my car...
dinged me on not having the knobs on the heater controls... man , it
felt like the Spanish Inquistion !!

Jason... ever think of autocrossing your car ? It's a blast and not hard
on them at all !

Chris in Utah
Spitfire15@prodigy.com