Spit dimmer

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit dimmer
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:00:25 GMT
Hello John!

>    I have been experiencing a problem with dimming the headlights on my 74
>Spitfire 1500. All I have are brights. I checked for a dimmer relay per the
>Bentley & the Haynes. The former didn't show one & the later states that it
>is in the luggage compartment on left wheel arch. My car doesn't have one,
>that I can find. Please help! I am I in the process on preparing to ship
>her to the UK in Oct or Nov.

Now wait a second here...

You seriously expect us to help to kidnap one of these classy, rare
and soon to be sought after '74 Spitfires back to England?  Come on!

We colonists have spent over twenty years debugging these babys
and now that each and every one is perfect you wanna steal 'em back?
Shame!

Okay...tell ya what.  We'll let you take *this* one back if you
promise not to remove the vacuum retard dizzy and anti-run-on
solenoid...no matter how many times it shorts and smokes the wiring.
The same goes for the "no-start" seat belt interlock and EGR service
interval counter....AND associated cheesy plastic lamp indicators
pasted across the walnut dash.

Doing so would spoil the "character" of the car. :-)

Seriously John...

When I first got my car I puzzled about the "dimming relay" that was
mentioned in the Haynes book.  I concluded that it had nothing to do
with the headlamps themselves, but rather seemed to be designed to
reduce the brightness of the tailamps...possibly to satisfy some
regulation in the UK for night time driving.  This is just a guess.
<any UK listers care to confirm?>

What I do know is that my '74 Federal spec Spitfire has none and I'll
bet yours doesn't either.

If your "high beams" <'Murican term> are always on then my guess is
that either the column mounted switch has gone bad or some DPO has
messed with the wiring.  It's a simple circuit and I can walk you
through it via-email if you wish.

Cheers...
Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits