1500 Spitfire and Midget gearbox

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1500 Spitfire and Midget gearbox
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 02:24:40 GMT
Hi Trevor!

>  The Midget 1500 box and Spitfire box perhaps share
>some lineage, but again, they are not the same.

>  If you mean internals, it makes sense, since that is
>where reliability is made or broken.

>  However, the cases are not the same, and the
>boxes themselves are definitely not interchangeable.

AFAIK they should be identical.  It's in the best interest of us
Spitfire guys to know these things.  That way we can rob the graves of
the other marques so our cars may live on and on... <just kidding MG
people...great little cars, those Midgets> :-)

Oh....I just thought of one difference...the shifter pins.  Swapping
from a Spit 1500 to a Midget 1500 requires drifting out and swapping
the shifter pins else it goes in backwards!

It's interesting to note the even the Spitfire chassis did not escape
the "knife" when the new tranny was introduced.  BL sectioned out
about 4" from the transmission tunnel so it would fit.  They then
added an access cover.  The driveshaft was also shortened. I know this
to be true because I've just done this surgery on my '74 in converting
to '76 Spec., trannywise...

--
I haven't seen these Trevor so I can't be sure.  Possibly for the OD
box?  I believe that overdrive was never offered in the Midget 1500 so

>Trevor Boicey
>Ottawa, Canada
>tboicey@brit.ca

Regards...Tom O'Malley