Burning wiring harness

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Burning wiring harness
From: davepage@intergate.bc.ca
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
Well, just got my TR4A shipped back to me (Vancouver, BC) from Halifax via
rail.  It survived the train ride unscathed which delighted me to no end.
However, on my journey home from the rail yard, I noticed a burning
electrical smell and a charging gauge that was reading off the meter (to the
positive side).  Thinking the smell was just because I hadn't driven the
thing in about a year and not holding out a lot of faith that the guage was
accurate, I journeyed on.  About half way through my short trip, the red
charging light on my dash lit up and my charging gauge dropped to a slightly
negative value.  Upon arriving at my destination, I opened the bonnet to
discover that my wiring harness had kind of unravelled between the generator
and the voltage regulator like a reptile shedding its skin.  There was also
an insulator jacket that had melted off one of the wires inside, like a
british car shedding its wiring harness.  I quickly concluded that something
was amiss.  Problem is that my reference materials are somewhere between
here and Halifax (along with my tools!) and I don't know where to start
looking.  The wire that is charred leads to the "F" terminal on my new
voltage regulator.  Any advice on what component might be suspect?  It
doesn't look like I need to replace the entire harness right away although I
probably will once the good weather goes away.

If there's anyone out there with some sage advice, please send it my way so
I can enjoy these fading days of Summer!  Thanks in advance for any and all

Cheers!

Dave Page
'66 TR4A IRS