1973 GT6 Wood Dash Fascia Wanted!

Subject: 1973 GT6 Wood Dash Fascia Wanted!
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:37:58 -0500
Hi all!

As some of you already know, I have an almost complete 1973 GT6 Mk3.  I
am starting the POR-15 gas tank cleaning process and have already
rebuilt the carbs, so the car is almost ready to start up and run.  My
next projects are to go through the brake and clutch hydraulics, since
after sitting for ten years, there is no fluid and I am sure the seals
are cracked and icky.

I say, "Almost complete," since I went to remove the fascia for the tech
session I gave on refinishing wood dash fascia at this year's National,
and it basically disintegrated in my hands as I was taking it out.  It
looked pretty good from the driver compartment, but apparently water had
gotten to it over those ten years and it had swelled, warped and all of
the layers split and delaminated, leaving me with a lovely mess on the
carpet to clean up when I tried to remove it.  So, no easy
glue-it-back-together fix to be had.

My question is:  Does anyone out there have a replacement I can beg,
borrow (for 25 years...), or buy reasonably?  It doesn't have to be in
great shape veneer-wise -- I can refinish them just fine -- but I need
the wood (furniture-grade plywood, I guess) behind the veneer to be
sound.  I just don't feel like cutting a dash out of solid wood -- I
don't have some of the tools yet for that kind of work.  I will need all
three pieces.

Another question:  Does anyone out there have a carpet kit for this car
that they want to get rid of, for a reasonable price?  It is basic
black.  It can be used, just so long as not in a cruddy condition.

I am trying so hard to buy my Spit race car (thank you Bert, for letting
me make payments!!), but in the interim I am really wanting to get this
little car on the road and looking decent.  If anyone has this stuff,
please let me know!

Thank you so much!
Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   %)