Clogged coolant drain: TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clogged coolant drain: TR6
From: Joe Seward <jsseward@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 20:56:03 -0400
Listers:

My 73' TR6 passed the 2 year mark since its restoration, so I decided to
change the engine coolant.  The radiator drained with no problem and
looked clean, although the coolant itself looked a bit reddish.  After
removing the engine drain plug, nothing happened.  From other cars, I
knew to expect a torrent of fluid, and normally put a garbage bag over
the starter to drain the coolant down the side of the engine into a pan.
 Not this time.  The area inside of the drain plug was full of black,
gritty debris.

Two questions come to mind.  (1)What is this stuff, and (2)how do I get
rid of it?  My guess was residue from hot tanking.  The radiator was
recored and effectively new; the engine completely rebuilt w/ new hoses.
 Could this be rust from just 2 years of service?

Question two is more critical.  I managed to run some insulated solid
core copper wire up into the block to open the drain hole.  The residue
near the hole was ~1 inch deep.  I'm afraid if I just flush and fill
the system that the remaining crud will settle back into the hole I
made, and the problem will get worse.  Any ideas on how to clear the
bottom of the water jacket with the engine in the car?

Thanks for just reading this far,

Joe Seward
'73 TR6 (see above)
'74 TR6 (complete, except for a body and frame)