HELP! TR6 not running right!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: HELP! TR6 not running right!!
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:01:09 -0700
Pete here, and within the last few days the ol' TR has NOT been feeling
well.  I'm pretty well convinced that it's ignition. Anyway, it lacks
power... substantially... and will not rev smoothly... kind of a "fluttery"
erratic exhaust note, NOT a completely dead cylinder.  The problem also
seems to be intermittent.  I've got an Allison ignition on it, and an
Allison sport coil (40,000v) with NGK BPR6ES plugs at the ends of Allison
silicone plug wires.  Tonight I removed the distributor to attempt to
disassemble it, as I have never had it apart before.  I was going to make
sure that the mechanical advance was clean and free to move as it's
supposed to, but was unable to drive out the coupling pin.  Anyone have any
ideas on that?  I cleaned up the contact plates and they rotate much more
freely now, and I put the distributor back in, regapped the plugs (I had
them gapped at the stock gap spec for a long time, never knowing I could
use a wider gap (with the sport coil) until a recent posting to this list!
Thanks!!)

Any ideas on what to check on the ignition side to pin down this problem??

What is the typical failure symptom of the electronic ignition?

Please help!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6... sort of.