Re: clutch

To: rgb@exact.com
Subject: Re: clutch
From: Jim Bedient <wh6ef@pixi.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:03:20 -1000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At , you wrote:

>Eliminate all the external causes first:
>
>1.  enlongated linkage points

No problem there.

>2.  bleeding the slave on the car...  I unbolt the slave at the trans,
>    pivot the whole thing vertical, open bleed, push down on slave while
>    pointing rod into a piece of wood, tighten bleed while liquid is
>    gushing.  Now you know you've got it.

The plot thickens....

Taking your good advice, I went out to the car and began checking the
hydraulic cylinders, linkage, etc.  Lo and behold, I had concentrated on
things external to the cockpit, and upon taking a drop light into the
footwell to inspect the linkage, I discovered the interior end of the master
cylinder to be quit wet with some sort of dirty, mucky fluid... a leak!  A
small one, but a leak...

I'm guessing the best course of action is to pull the master and disassemble
it.  If it looks rebuildable, do it; if not, replace it?  Bleed the whole
system out and try it again.

>3.  make certain the slave is mounted correctly

To be checked

>4.  make certain your clutch pedal isn't stopping early on the floor/carpet

No problem there, either.

>Okay, now rip it out.
>
>Number 2 is a random thing, even with the bleed in the up position, some
>of these slaves don't bleed properly.  A pea-sized air pocket will ruin
>your day.
>
>Roger

Thanks, I'm glad you inspired me to take another look.

Jim