Re: Lucas tar top battery warning

To: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lucas tar top battery warning
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:57:14 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com wrote:

> Today, while getting the 3B out for a drive, I noticed something white on the
> floor on top of the tranny. Yes, it was from the battery and had created a
> hole in the battery box large enough to stick a finger through. The entire
> box will have to be cut out and rebuilt. The engine bay of the TR6 will need
> a respray if I keep it in concours. Tough to match red!

Steve, before beginning any repairs, it is probably advisable to make up
a loose paste of water and baking soda and spread it around on all the
affected areas, just to make sure that all the dried acid is
neutralized, leave it for a while, then flush the area with water, and
repeat the process, then dry thoroughly. Would think that having
residual dried sulfuric acid hanging around would not be helpful in any
repair.

> Both batteries came from The Antique Auto Battery Mfg Co. in Hudson, Ohio.
> Buy a Diehard and put a Lucas sticker on it! Please do not repeat my mistake.

I'm frankly confused about the concours requirement for original
batteries. Their only sources are such as those you describe above,
which usually do not warrant either the battery or damage from defective
equipment. And, battery technology has improved in the last 30 or 40
years, so why not take advantage of it, especially with an item which
requires periodic replacement?

Cheers, Steve.

> "Home of the Corvette"
> Triumphs---
> 1954 TR2
> 1962 TR3B
> 1968 TR 250
> 1971 TR6
> Jaguars---
> 1963 MkII RHD
> 1969 XKE FHC

Now, that is a stable of thoroughbreds, no? <g>

--
My other Triumph runs, but....