Re: URGENT WARNING

To: Bob bailey <rbailey@snet.net>
Subject: Re: URGENT WARNING
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:41:49 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob bailey wrote:

>  If you receive an email message titled "JOIN THE CREW" or "PEN PAL
> GREETINGS" Delete it with out opening. IT IS A VIRUS THAT CAN DESTROY YOUR
> HARD DRIVE..
>
> I received this info at work, it comes from IBM. Don't know how true it is
> but I always believed in better safe than sorry..
>
> I appologize in advance if this turns out to be a hoax..
>
> Bob Bailey
> 1966 TR4A
I get these kind of messages at least once a week from various sources.
They are ALL bogus. You cannot get a virus from reading an Email. BUT,
if the Email contains an enclosure be wary if you don't know the source.
If the file is executable it can cause harm (a little or a lot). If the
file is a Microsoft Word file, it can have a Template that will screw up
your Word settings and give you grief.
Ask yourself one question when you get these notices: Do you know anyone
personally who has experienced the problem?