Re: Spin-on Oil Filter Adapter Woes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spin-on Oil Filter Adapter Woes
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:27:27 -0400
Back on the 24th Hugh Barber wrote :

 >I need some help from the collective:
 >
 >I have used a Mocal spin-on oil filter adapter and oil cooler for the past
 >10 years on my TR-6 without problem.  The unit installed as advertised ans
 >has never leaked.  So... I put the new engine in the TR this week and put
 >the adapter on with new o-rings, started it up, and dumped several quarts
 >of oil on the driveway.  Subsequent trouble shooting has found me trying
 >both the large and small inner o-rings, repeatedly reseating the outer
 >o-ring, and adding washers to the retaining bolt (to increase the pressure
 >on the o-rings..... all to no avail - still spews oil everywhere.  Has
 >anybody else has a similar problem and how did you solve it (other than
 >going to the manufacturer, which is not a viable solution for those not
 >living in the UK)
 >
 >Thanks,
 >
 >Hugh Barber
 >'73 TR-6

..and last week some time Nick from NorCal wrote that he had similar
problems, and I wish I had saved his post;  I will attempt to condense
what he suspected the problem to be -- variations in the depth of the
outer O-ring groove, depending on who was doing the machining that day,
or whether they were trying to make their incentive pay, or what shift
was boring the block when it went through, etc... in other words, the
usual production variables, some perhaps caught by inspectors, or per-
haps a `wide' spec on the groove, given the stock type canister and
its spring-loaded filter cartridge.  The casting of the spin-on adaptor
apparently fits some blocks just fine, leak-tight the first time, but
that may be the exception rather than the rule.

I know that when I put an adaptor onto my old TR-250, it dripped quite
a bit from under the mounting bolt head.  I suspected that the bolt
supplied with the adaptor was too long, and was bottoming in its hole.
A thin copper washer under the bolt head, where it contacted the adaptor,
made it leak a whole lot less, but the end result in my case was a new
spot to drip oil...but hey, Floor-Dri is cheap, and it was a small leak...

Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc  basket case
various Triumph bikes and cars since '74  ('69 Spitsmoke = my first car!)