Valve Cover Painting

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valve Cover Painting
From: NA Campiglia <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:52:45 -0500
 Be careful of painting aluminum! Knowing a few friends who own
aircraft, I know there is a definite procedure for painting
aluminum. I myself have done this same thing for years on various
motorcycle blocks, and the paint will not stick for very long. Even
using a high-temperature engine paint, this is still a problem.
                Maybe some other listers can tell us what the proper
surface preparation/priming is for painting over aluminum? I would
like to know myself, as I am sure the need to paint aluminum will come
up again.

James,
I just so happen to be luckily enough to have a job that requires me to
paint aluminum on a daily basis.

Here's the procedure:
- Completely sand the valve cover with 280 grit sand paper.  Be sure to get
the entire area evenly.

- Totally de-grease the cover, use alcohol or brake cleaner.  You can test
it to make sure by doing a water break test.  Hold it level and put some
water on it, if it sheets with no voids it's grease free.

- Get a primer that is both heat resistant and for aluminum.  I suggest a
zinc or chromate based.

-  Top coat with a heat resistant paint and give it a few coats, let it
flash out between coats.

That ought to do it for you.  Works on the B-1 bomber

Nick
spitdrvr@camalott.com
http://www.camalott.com/~spitdrvr
67' 74' 76'  Spitfire heaven......................