Re: TR4 seats

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 seats
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 21:59:35 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "Arthur M. Kelly" <ArthurK101@aol.com>, dfullam@albany.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, TRAHMG@aol.com, EPaul21988@aol.com, cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil, mbjoslyn@prairienet.org, tuu@cosmail3.ctd.ornl.gov
Uh, can I throw a wrench into the works here? I can't vouch for the 3B
seat frames, as my 3B came without seats (and a lot of other stuff, but
that's a long story). But I'm guessing that the 3B used the same seats as
the 3A, as the seat tracks are the same on both models.

Meanwhile, I did once strip out an early-ish TR4 (CT 14???  maybe -- five
digit number, anyway) and kept the original seats. And I've also got at
least one other pair of early TR4 seats in the barn. They are very similar
to the TR3A seats (which I also know well). However, where the 3A seat
frame has a flat pan with four horizontal ribs stamped into it for
strengthening purposes, and four holes on each side from front to rear
for the seat track studs, the early 4 seat has an additional recess
stamped into the bottom of the pan. This begins behind the first
"horizontal rib stamping" and effectively divides the three remaining
stamped ribs. It is maybe about 5x8" or perhaps a bit larger, and
corresponds to a part of the wire framing of the seat cushion that juts
down below the bottom of said cushion. Perhaps it was intended to afford
a bit of extra sturdiness to the seat cushion. The holes for mounting of
the seat track are also different from the 3A pan, for in the 4 seats are
"pairs" of holes rather than the 3A's two lines of four individual holes.

FWIW, I also have what appear to be a pair of 4A seats. These appear to
be completely different from all earlier seats in that they are basically
a bent tube frame construction, with foam and diaphragms used to support
the upholstery. Also, these seat frames are fixed, with the whole seat
folding forward via pivots that mount to the front of the 4A's seat track.

And we thought this would be easy! :-)

--Andy