Re[2]: paint & trim codes... website?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: paint & trim codes... website?
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 12:20:00 +0100
Joe wrote:

>try

>http://www.vtr.org/maintain/paint-charts/dupont2.jpg

>this appears to be a scanned in copy of a DuPont paint chip card for
>Triumph- the colors don't appear to be perfect reproductions on my
>Macintoshes, I haven't tried with my (IBM) laptop
>hey, no fooling, you'd think web pages would look identical on all
>platforms, but they don't, colors are often significantly different on my
>Macs versus the IBM

The problem of colours [sic] appearing differently on your monitor from what
they actually are is not a new one.  However, within the popular (and excellent)

shareware program Paint Shop Pro (PSP) there is a feature which allows you to
calibrate your monitor.  Look in the help menu for 'Gamma Correction'.  You load

up a file called gamma.tif which is included with the package and then throw
different gamma correction values at it until 2 bits of the image look the same.

This value can then be applied within PSP to other images to give an accurate
screen representation.
If you don't have a copy download one now (it's fairly easy to find on the Web -

but if you have problems try http:\\www.filez.com).  Alternatively, most UK
computer magazines seem to include it on the cover CD every month.

Hope this helps

Pat

PS This procedure will not help if the gamma correction of the scanned image is

'off'.  In this case there is no way of knowing what is correct.