Re: Purists beware!

To: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Subject: Re: Purists beware!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:07:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

> There's a bunch of this info available on the VTR maintenence
> website... there's not as much out there because compared to a TVR
> most every common part of a Triumph is available....and it's pretty
> unusual for a non-Triumph part to be better! You know where TVR went
> for its 2500 engines? You know the current TVR V8 is basically a
> modernized & expanded Buick/Rover/TR8 motor?

I only just skimmed over the TVR Vixen "guts page".  I don't even remember
the site address.

I do remember marveling at all the different sources for the parts!  Now I
wish we kept that Cortina, window cranks must be sought after :-)

As for the V8, that doesn't surprise me.  Most V8s are similar (except for
obvious differences: Overhead cam or flat head...), You can usually swap
parts from one to another without penalty.

I read about a fellow in the UK who used Dodge 400 valvetrain components
(plus a little machining) to replace the lifters in a Rolls.  Pistons were
the same size too.

> But there's info on oil filters, shocks, alternators.....

As a "case in point":  I haven't verified this yet as I have not found a
suitable part, but it appears that the 62-65 International and AMC cars
use a hot water valve (heater control) with identical fittings and action
as the TR valve.  Now, these aren't any cheaper when bought new, but I'm a
scrapyard type and know that beat up old AMCs are more common than beat up
old TRs.

-Malcolm