Re: Open vs. Closed Valve cover breather

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Open vs. Closed Valve cover breather
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 20:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Malcolm Walker wrote:
> > My chevette has a similar "draft tube" coming out of the valve cover and
> > going straight into the air cleaner.  It enters after the element, so the
> > vapors are not filtered.
>
>   It has to be there, since that is where the vacuum is
> high enough to do some good. The air filter is a restriction,
> and therefore there is a vacuum on the inside to "suck"
> air through it.

I also figure that there isn't anything filterable inside the crankcase
(you hope not, anyway!)-- all a filter would do is get plugged up with oil
--there should be no dirt or bugs inside your sump!

>   I wouldn't worry about the filtering. As I have
> mentioned before, look at two cycle engines as far
> as burning oil this way goes.

There's no trouble with burning the oil.  I may need a new PCV valve in
the car as there's a lot of oil spattered around the inlet (inside the air
cleaner)

But it's not an LBC, so I won't yammer on about it :-)

-Malcolm