Re: Wanker origins [was TR4 Sold]

To: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate), mike@spitfire.stortek.com
Subject: Re: Wanker origins [was TR4 Sold]
From: Trevor Jordan <trevor.jordan@rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:13:26 +1000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 2:00 +1000 16/10/97, Shane F. Ingate wrote:
>Mike Ginter wrote:
>       > I work with a guy from New Zealand who told me that "wanker" was an
>       > Australian/New Zealand term.  If I remember right, it is not a
>term for a
>       > male appendage.
>
>Wanker in Aussie-English is a person with callouses on their palm, not
>obtained from heavy labour.  One who BSs a lot. Same as in Yank-speke.
>
>       Shane Ingate, an Aussie lost in San Diego

Precisely, but why did you have tell everyone so soon, I found all the
guesses so amusing.

A few years ago, the computer company Wang was conducting a publicity
campaign for its customer service/support.  The US head office developed a
poster with the headline "Wang Cares".  The Australian subsidiary
absolutely refused to use it.  I am not sure that head office ever
understood why.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U