tuning early TR6 Strombergs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tuning early TR6 Strombergs
From: jmike@sky.net
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:08:18 -0500 (CDT)
Hello listers....  Been lurking around for a while, reading and learning, and
occasionally getting some free entertainment!   Both the TR6 and the Green
Weenie  (TR3) have been running pretty good this summer.   The Weenie started a
rough idle and black smoke, but in a day of triumph (pun intended) I
successfully tuned the carbs and it settled right down.  Naturally, Chauncey,
(our TR6) saw that I was too happy and immediately started acting the same way,
although without the black smoke (too lean?) at least on one carb.  Can't seem
to find the really good information about how to adjust the idle mixture.  VB
shows a tool for adjustment which looks very different that the tool shown in
Bentley or the Kenneth Ball/Autopress book.

Further, the articles available on team.net say that not all Strombergs had a
mixture adjustment.   This is a 70.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?
 The six seems to drop out one or two of the cylinders at idle.  Don't think I
got a leak in the manifold, as it was just replace a couple of years ago, and
the car ran fine.  I know that I will need to change the plugs and points
before
I begin, but I sure would like to get some direction on the carbs.

By the way, Chauncey took best in class at the KC all British.  Only about five
others in the class, though, must be a REALLY rare car.  Don't want to sell im,
however.

Finally, I see a lot of conversations about which repair manual is better,
Bentley or Haynes, but nobody ever makes a comment about the Kenneth Ball
books.
 They are pretty rare, I guess, I found the TR3 book at the library, and bought
it from them, found an MGB at an estate sale here in KC, and found the TR6 book
in an antique/wierd shop in Colorado.  Any comments?

Love the list, I still visit VB's bent and dent room every other week or so.
Let me know if you need anything, and I'll keep an eye out.