Re: What is Hammorite Paint

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What is Hammorite Paint
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:36:49

(Forrest W. > Bridges) writes:

> << I have finnally found a True Value store that can order Hammorite paint
> for
>  me >>
>
> I have seen repeated reference to this paint in European publications, but I
> never read a description of what it actually is.  I have been wondering, is
> it related to some of the other paint products in the US.  Is it in fact the
> same product as one sold in the US which is marketed under another name in
> Europe?  I have assumed, from what I've read, that it is a rust preventative
> paint ?  Anyone have any good information ?  I believe it is well regarded in
> England for restoration work.
>
> Bob Paul

Hammerite, made by Finnigans (also makers of Waxoyl) is a paint which
is used for coating metal without the need for special primers etc.
It is especially useful in applications where the metal is already
rusty, because according to the manufacturers, you can just wire
brush the loose rust off the metal and slap the Hamerite on. It will
supposedly stop further rust from occuring. Hence the widespread use
in restoration work in Britain.
Original Hammerite goes on very thickly and reacts with its solvent
to give an attractive hammered metal finish (hence the name). More
recently the makers have introduced Smoothrite which is the same
thing but with a smooth finish. There is also Finnigans NO. 1 primer
which is a rust inhibiting primer but which, unlike Hammerite and
smoothrite, can be painted over with other conventional automotive
paints.

Hope this is useful,

Jonathan

*************************************