Re: Transverse spring/disk brakes

To: Glenn Bowley <gbowley@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Transverse spring/disk brakes
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:16:56 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Two quick notes:

> Hi all-
> I had two questions somebody may have some answers for:
>
> 1.) I need to replace the transverse leaf spring on my '75 Spit, and was
>wondering if
> anyone could recommend a "stronger than stock" unit.

Even racers use the stocker, de-arched a bit -- your best bet might
be to have one made by a spring shop. Be careful not to increase
spring rate and thereby the roll resistance or you might bring back
the dreaded rear axle "tuck under" that the MKIII,II,I were famous
for.....

...have you checked out the air shock article on the VTR website? I
think it might "do the do" for you....

> 2.) Has anybody ever tried putting disk brakes on the rear of a Spitfire? I
>really hate
> the stock drum units! (I know, I know, they do the job!)

If you do this be very careful to balance them carefully -- Kas
Kastner tried the GT6 rear drums on the racers and they just had too
much bite...they were prone to lockup... Kastner does give great
instructions on how to ventilate the stock drums.... have you tried
good linings?

Good Luck!

"Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare

Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando
Spit MKIV