Re: Pertronix perplexia

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Pertronix perplexia
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:09:36 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin says:
>The PO of my GT6 installed an (Accel) sport coil which has an output of
>50kv, or
> 5-thousand volts too many for the Pertronix.  The Pertronix salesman, to
>no surprise, says that elec. ignition is an improvement that is superior to
>a sport coil, leading me to wonder if I should dump my current (no pun
>intended)
>sport coil, reinstall the stock coil, and put in a Pertronix.
>
>Comments, anyone?

As I understand ignitions (and perhaps I don't), going to an EI pack like a
Pertronix or a Crane will get away from the problems inherent with
points/condenser such as pitting, gap deterioration, dizzy shaft wobble,
etc. All of these things give erratic spark timing. A high-voltage coil
does something different: it delivers adequate spark at high RPM, which a
marginal coil won't, as there is not enough time for the field to build to
sufficient energy between firings of the plugs. This is sometimes overcome
with dual-point/dual-coil ignition systems.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)