[Fwd: TR6 purchase ??s]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: TR6 purchase ??s]
From: Shawn Mann <shawmon@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:14:41 -0500
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:02:29 -0500
From: Shawn Mann <shawmon@worldnet.att.net>
To: "triumphs"@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 purchase ??s

Hello all,

I spend most of my time lurking around here, learning general Triumph
wisdom and specific tips for my 79 Spitfire.  BUT, I'll soon be looking
at a business associate's 1970 TR6 to possibly purchase, and am looking
for advice as to what to keep an eye out for.  I've been to the VTR's
page about TR6 purchasing already, I'd just like to hear from the lists
experiences also.

What I know about the car so far:  140K miles, engine rebuilt by
"British car mechanic" (I think the shop was a Jaguar garage) 10 or 20K
ago, not driven since 1987 or so, started occasionally since, ran fine
last time started, supposedly rust free (it's lived its entire life in
the San Fernando Valley near Los Angeles), no accidents, original owner.

The owner is not a Triumph enthusiast, just a guy who bought the car new
27 years ago, and now just sees it as an old toy he's outgrown.  He's
let on that he'd let it go for maybe only $900, even then, it seemed as
if he just wanted it out of his garage, so maybe that's a little
negotiable.  Sight unseen, it sounds like a great deal, but that's why
I'm concerned.  I DON'T want another basket case (read: my 1979
Spitfire), or project car. I don't mind typical Triumph repair and
maintenance, but I'm looking for something I can street fairly soon.

Since I was a kid, I'd always wanted a TR6, now it seems like an
opportunity to get a decent one cheap.  What should I look out for??

Second, since it hasn't run for years, and I seriously doubt that it was
prepped in any way when he stored it, what steps should I take before
attempting to start it?

E-mail me direct, if you'd like
TIA

Shawn Mann