rh, A Arm Assembly

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: rh, A Arm Assembly
From: "L.D. Hooven" <dirty_howi@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 10:21:57 PST
In poking around my 79 spitfire, i noticed something strange, the rh
front a-arm and sway bar link are bailing wired together.  it did not
appear that the a-arm itself was cracked or broken and i didn't want to
cut the wire for fear of sending the entire right front corner crashing
to the ground where i could not get my jack under it to raise it again
(it's tough enough to do with both tires fully inflated).  my question
is has anyone seen where the bolt, that is apparant in the vic-brit
catalog mechanical drawing, has broken off. if so, should i replace the
entire sway arm assembly or just the links. ( i know change in pairs)
or am i looking at a new rh suspension?  i also know that there is not
much that a little bailing wire and duct tape cant fix, but not wanting
to fall apart on the motorway is also a great concern.  it is also not
apparent on the catalog mechanical drawing if the sway linkage goes in
front of or behind the struts/shock spring combo. ( if memory serves it
is in what would be considered front when facing the suspension).

also as an aside, what is everyones impression of stainless steel fuel
and brake lines instead of rubber.  the type they use on race cars. i
think i got in on the tail end of that discussion the last time and
missed the most important stuff.  thanks for any help

regards

larry, 1979 spitfire (currently in permanant convertible
mode)

of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most,
i stopped to think one day and forgot to start again