RE: Bearing caps

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Bearing caps
From: twalli@vanheusen.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 15:45:22 -0500
>Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 09:07:30 -0800
>From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
>Subject: cap-bearings
>
>Listers, a little help please, if the REAR main cap bearings are left
>loose, under very easy driving conditions how long would you think before
>any crank  or rod damage would occur. Also any place where this is
>written about. I have a problem and need to know.  TIA

Whoa there Fred!!  Looking for the "threshold of failure" are you?  I think
that if you are aware that the bolts weren't torqued, you would just stop
driving the car until they were.  I only takes an hour or so to drop the
sump and put a wrench on those bad boys, and another hour or so to put
everything back together.  You must be seeing a drop in oil pressure at the
very least with the main cap on loose, and who knows what other damage is
lurking in there.  Fix it now while you're ahead -- don't wait until
something really dramatic happens!