TR Spit: Front Crank Seal question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR Spit: Front Crank Seal question
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 20:44:53 -0800
        I've been having a difficult time with the nut holding the pulley on the
front of my '78 Spit. I tried wrenching it, but ultimately the clutch
slipped and it wouldn't come off. I tried air impacting it for full minute
with no luck. A suggestion from the list (sorry, I don't remember who) was
to heat it three times and try again.
        Today I heated it three times letting it cool inbetween for a minute and
shooting it very liberablly with WD-40. I took my chain vise grips and
locked on to the pulley and wrenched the crank until the vise grips hit the
frame rail. I took my 2 1/2 foot breaker bar and put all my weight into it.
I could see the breaker bar bend, but no luck. I got a 3 1/2 foot piece of
water pipe and slipped it over the end of the breaker bar. I put my full
weight into it and after a few bounces WHACK! I fell backwards into the
rose bushes. Extracting myself, I found the nut finally free!
        The old seal looks pretty good, but is a little bit less resilient than
the new one. The seal surface on the pulley has a slight groove and some
very small pits in the area of the groove. I think that replacing the seal
alone will not stop the oil flow out the front. Can I just polish out the
pits or do I finally get to try the Reddi-Seal or whatever the sleeves are
called? Or is this OK and the new seal will take care of it?

Brian Harper
1978 Spitoil