Re: TR6 resto. Costs

To: Haeg1 <Haeg1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 resto. Costs
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 16:53:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John,

The one thing I couldn't find in your e-mail was what your plans are for this
car.  Personally, I'd never look at an automobile as an investment -- remember
all
those folks that lost tons of money on "real" collector cars in the late '80s
and
early '90s?  What I do is examine the car's value to me.  I don't think about
resale, whether I'm working on my daily driver Spit or trying to find a
restorable
oddity or maintaining the 300k+ mile sedan I bought new a bunch of years ago.
Rather, I consider what I'm getting out of the car:

- Are operating costs less than a car note, insurance, and maintenance costs
for a
comparable car in better shape?

- Is the pride I get from showing it off on the street or at a car show, the
fun I
have driving around the countryside, and the satisfaction I feel after
finishing a
repair job, myself, worth giving up another enjoyable hobby (like eating)?

- Is a high degree of reliability or functionality a requirement?

My guess is that you want to end up with a nice looking, reliable, fun hobby
car,
and you've obviously got some work and expense ahead of you.  That said, can you
afford to do the work you've outlined and do you think you will get enough
enjoyment out of the restoration work and driving the finished car to offset the
costs.  With Malibu Barbie's Dream Car, I figured I could afford to spend (note
that I didn't say "invest") $1,500 a year on fixing DPO neglect and wear and
tear
without feeling too guilty about not buying a "real" car.  Next year is going to
break my budget as I begin to do all the appearance things she needs (and that I
want), but I'm not concerned about recouping my expenditures when I think about
all of the fun I've had with her.

If, however, your concern is mostly with getting a show quality car for the
least
amount of money, then, you'd probably be better off watching the classified ads
and picking up someone else's labor of love.

(IMHO)

-Schuyler

--
Schuyler E. Grace