Fluid for Armstrong lever shocks

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fluid for Armstrong lever shocks
From: Scott.Mackay@SEMATECH.Org
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 16:12:32 -0600

     Hi All,

     Just putting together the new rear suspension and had a question about the
     lever shocks.

     I want to experiment increasing the resistance by increasing the fluid
     viscosity as one does to tune fork shocks on motorX bikes.  I know, I
know,
     I can just sent my shocks off to Apple for the uprated versions, but short
     of spending the $50+ per shock, I thought I'd give this a try as mine are
     still in good shape.

     Does anyone know the type of fluid and viscosity that was originally in
     them?  I'm guessing something like a 10W.  The Armstrong bottle does not
     appear to have the info on it.

     Also, my shocks (I believe they are original) are painted a bright copper
     color (very similar to a bright, newly minted penny).  Has anyone seen
this
     color before in a spray can?  At this point I'm reduced to the local hobby
     shop for some model paint.

     Thanks,

     Scott Macaky