tr6 front seal

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Nickbk@worldnet.att.net'" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: tr6 front seal
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:52:44 -0700
As chronicled in an earlier post, I plan to clean up the front end of my
engine by among other things, replacing the front seal (timing cover
seal). I have a replacement from TRF which is an all rubber (or plastic)
seal with one inner lip and a spring (pretty much a normal seal AFAIK).

I read a post recently where Nick in Nor Cal recommends doubling up the
seal by using two seals, each 1/2 the height of the original. This
provides at least two benefits, the obvious double seal and also
potentially a better seal because the lip will contact the crank at a
different (and presumably less worn) location.

I have just come back from a bearing store in town and all I could find
in thinner seals to fit my car was a seal which was almost as thick as
the original. Not having then front of the engine exposed yet, I don't
know if I would have room to double up this particular seal. Instead, I
obtained a seal which has the identical dimensions of the TRF seal
(3.000x2.000x.375 inches), but with a double lip. The idea of a double
lipped seal makes sense to me from my layman's perspective.

I do have two questions concerning this seal however.

1. Can anyone see any reason why I wouldn't want to (or shouldn't) use
the double lipped seal instead of the original spec one?

2. The double lipped seal does have another difference, namely only the
lip itself is made of rubber (or plastic). The rest is made of a metal
of some sort with the outer surface (the one which will contact the
timing cover opening) having a plasticized coating which is supposed to
provide the seal if the timing cover has in imperfect hole (I assume
these imperfections, if present, will be very small). Does it seem safe
to use this seal in a TR6 engine? (The dude at the bearing store said
that the "metal" seals are typical of car engines while the all-plastic
seals are more common in motorcycle engines. I guess he may not have a
great deal of experience with British cars.)

Thanks to all you engine experts for any advice, comments, suggestions,
etc.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada