TR7 questions and a little nostalgia

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR7 questions and a little nostalgia
From: ke2fi@juno.com (Noel W Wheate)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:11:57 -0500
Been a subscriber of the news list for some time and had a 1980 TR7 since
June. Finally decided to ask a few questions. First would like to say...
I LOVE MY TRIUMPH!!!

1. My rag top has been replaced and has no snaps for the cover when the
top is down. Which snaps are supposed to be there and how are they
installed? I'm sure it's not difficult but I'd like to do it right
instead of guessing.
2. Does anyone have a source for replacement wheel covers (like those
supplied with the original vehicle.) Or a cheap source for alloy wheels.
(I'd rather go with covers as my funds are limited.) Victoria British
doesn't seem to mention them.
3. My 7 runs rough when under accelleration and cold but fine after
warm-up. Has twin carbs. Sound like a minor carb adjustment or something
more serious?

A brief history. The first ride out in the car. (had my wife with me)
Just as it turned dark, I flipped on the lights. They came out of the
hood and lit just as you'd expect but before we got home, they went dead.
I flipped the switch and they retracted and wouldn't even come out of the
hood. Thank god for fog lights. (my wife vowed never to drive the car...
chicken) All that was wrong was the light switch. Another trip home from
work (approx 35 miles) radio blastin', top down, couldn't hear a thing...
not even the valve clatter, until I got home. Boy the valves were LOUD!
Had me concerned to say the least. Figured I oughta check the oil.
Nothin' on the stick. Hum, was fine yesterday. Put in a quart. Nothin' on
the stick. Quart #2 still nothin'. I got a bad fealing about this. Quart
#3 got it to within 1/2 qt of full. Oh boy I thought, did a number on the
engine I suppose. Started it up and all was well..... except for the
stream of oil gushing out hte pressure sensor. Replaced the sensor and
all's been OK since. Boy I think the TR engine is tough! Oh and I learned
(the hard way) that the oil warning lamp was burned out! Learned a
lesson. Got to check these things out more carefully.