Re: Spring Replacement

To: Keith Taylor <taylor@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Spring Replacement
From: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 03:14:05 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Keith Taylor wrote:

> I'm trying to replace the road springs on my TR6. The procedures
> in the Bentley manual look really simple, but I'm stuck.
>
> 1. I followed all the steps up to removing the bolt securing the
>    trunion to the lower wishbone. I've got the split pin and nut off,
>    but I can't budge the bolt. Is there some trick to it?
>
> 2. Bentley doesn't mention the use of spring compressors. Are they
>    really not needed for this job?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith Taylor
> 75 TR6

  You're right that the book doesn't mention using a compressor.
Personally, I would never try to remove a coil spring without one.
There are way too many stories about holes in fenders, ceilings & people
to try without something to control that spring.  For your own safety
Tom Strange, Classic Autosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi.,  920-733-5013