"Magic Clutch" Recipe and other fixes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Magic Clutch" Recipe and other fixes
From: Hugh Barber <piglet@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:06:49 -0700
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client mothost.mot.com, sender hapkejs@cig.mot.com )
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client triumph.cs.utah.edu, sender triumphs-owner@autox.team.net )
Hi Folks,

A few weeks ago, I put a message on the list asking for recommendations for
good machine shops in the San Jose, CA area and asking if anyone knew the
specifics about the "Magic Clutch" that TRF sells (since they are so
circumspect about it and charge a small fortune for it, along with
requiring you to completely replace all the parts internal to the
bellhousing if you want it guaranteed).  Anyway, I got some good messages
steering me to good machine shops, <thank you !!> and some messages asking
me to tell them if I found out the specifics RE:the clutch.  However, no
messages with anything specific about TRFs clutch kit.  I found this really
strange - TR people are usually inquisitive by nature so I thought somebody
surely would have taken the time to "reverse engineer" the kit contents -
especially since TRF readily admits that the idea was not their own in the
first place, but instead came from two gentlemen in Florida.  Not being
easily discouraged, and having free lunch hours to make long distance calls
and burn the internet links, I decided to find out the answer.  What
follows is the compiled data from my study - I do not have any interests in
any of the companies listed below.

1. Clutch Release Bearing (or Throwout Bearing):  The bearing to use is the
throwout bearing for a 1975-1986 Toyota Landcruiser.  This bearing has a
Beck-Arnley/Worldparts part number of 062-0898.  Other part numbers it is
listed under are "RCT52S", "RB-0203", and "046", but you can just ask for a
1975-86 Landcruiser Throwout bearing and you will get the right part.  It
is a larger OD than the stock TR-6 T/O bearing, but the ID is the same, so
it presses onto the stock TR-6 carrier/sleeve. Shop around for the best
price - I was quoted from a low of $40 to a high of $80 for the exact same
bearing.

2. Clutch Pressure Plate:  The Pressure Plate to use is the SACHS pressure
plate for a 1979-1991 Saab 900 w/non-turbo 2 liter engine.  This has a
Sachs part number of SC436, and a Saab/Metrix Parts part number of
87-28-123.  When you buy this make sure you are getting a Sachs part -
Borg&Beck and Sachs were used interchangably on the 900 series and the Saab
part number does not distinguish between the two brands.  If you get a
Borg&Beck you are getting the same part that you (most likely) just took
off your TR-6.  The best price I found was from "The Parts Guy" (phone
800-874-1850 - P/N SC436, $49.95 + shipping).

3. Clutch Friction Disk:  There is no Sachs friction disk for a TR - the
Saab has a different input shaft.  Use any brand you want - as long as its
not Q-H ( Q-H will probably work - they are just really poor on quality
control).

Additional hints I gathered:

1.  Hone or machine an addition .010-.020 of clearance off the inner bore
of the throwout bearing sleeve.  Apparently at higher temperatures, it has
a tendency to stick.  Also install it with some high-temp grease.

2.  Drill a 5/16" hole at a 90 degree angle to the retaining pin (offset
from the pin - you don't want to drill through it) through the fork and
rod, and istall a grade 8 bolt and nut as additional insurance from the pin
breaking.

Well that's it.  Hope I didn't offend anybody - I was wondering if this
info was like a Masonic oath or something.  Many thanks to the folks at
Beck-Arnley/Worldparts, Metrix South, The Parts Guy, Midway Industries
(Centerforce Clutches), Sachs-Boge of America, Saab, Toyota, Economy
Imports, Olympic Imports, Auto Parts Club, and several folks who wished to
remain anonymous - I could not have done it without your help, parts books,
knowledge, and infinite patience.

Have at it !!

Hugh Barber
'73 TR-6