Could it be thrust washers??

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Could it be thrust washers??
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:15:46 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP88229085429alinkens@fargo>
I'm requesting some help in diagnosing a problem with my Triumph 2.5S. The car
was involved in a front end shunt about a year ago. Having since been repaired,
I've been conscious of a vibration when idling. The obvious problem would be
damaged engine and gearbox mountings but after the accident these were
replaced.
However, having read about thrust washers I'm beginning to wonder if these are
to blame.
These are the full symptoms:
The vibration is at it's worst when idling or when the engine is revved  in
neutral. As soon as I put the clutch to the floor, the vibration goes away and
the engine revs smoothly and freely. The clutch judders a lot when selecting
first or second gears and it is sometimes (not always) difficult to engage the
gears.
A secondary problem that I've been trying to sort out is a smell of raw fuel
coming from the carbs when idling in heavy traffic. I've replaced floats and
gaskets to no avail and recently I noticed that if I kept my foot on the clutch
(not a good idea I know) the problem disappeared. I'm wondering if the problem
is due to the heavy engine vibration which causes fuel to be splashed out of
the overflow outlet on the carb.
Do these tie up with thrust washer problems that causes the vibration, clutch
problems and carb leak??

Andy