Spitfire Ignition

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Ignition
From: hobrien@webos1.com (Will O'Brien)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:54:34 -0600
Work continues:
After getting no spark out of the distributor and checking the optical
contacts again and again as well as the timing again and again...
I purchased a cheap coil locally and pluggied it in....
Out came spark!   (All four plug wires)
However, the spark is apparently too weak to ignite the fuel. (Starting
Fluid, gas, etc...)
(We checked the plugs in the engine and they work)
The kicker...
     Placing the wire from the coil on #4 Cylinder's spark plug ignites the
fuel.
There's alot of resistence in the distributor(That't where the spark is
being lost...
My solution -Use a higer voltage coil to generate enough spark to ignite
the fuel in the cylinder.

I'm going to order a new coil soon.  Any recomindations as coils go?

Notes:
Add on electronic ignition to Lucas Distributor,
Had the original Lucas coil (rated at 15,000 volts I believe)
The cheap Coil I picked up is probably between 15,000 and 20,000 volts.
I'm thinking 40k,60k, or maybe even 70k for the hell of it.

Will

Will O'Brien
OS Design & Consulting
email: hobrien@webos1.com