Re: What is Blackplate?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What is Blackplate?
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:39:20 -0800
At 06:39 PM 12/21/97 -0500, Kinderlehrer's wrote:
>Mike,
>
>I don't read Hemmings, but I would guess that they are referring to the
>License Plate.  In California the plates stay with the car when it is sold.
>Back in the 60's the plates had a black background.

We have a winner! In the '50's the plates were yellowey-orange with black
characters. The plates just flipped colors, I think, to have black plates
with yellowey orange numbers in the '60's. My guess for the change is 1971.
The new plates were blue (just like my blue spitfire) with yellow
characters. This lasted through about 1981, I think. The new syle plates
have a reflective whitish-grey (like some roadsigns) background and blue
characters. And yes, the plate usually stays with the car for the car's or
the plate's life. Personalised plates, etc. travel with the owner.

>My '61 TRR3A has a black plate that was on it when I bought the car.  Does
>that mean it's worth more???

Yes, but only to the right person, and how much more is hard to quantify.

There, probably more than you ever wanted to know about California license
plates.

Brian Harper
Campbell, California
1978 Spitfire (with Illinois plates?)